Pages

August 16, 2011

Let me sum up

You've probably surmised that I recently had a baby. I've always wanted to be a mom, despite my grandmother recently telling me that I apparently once said I wasn't sure if I wanted kids. This was at the same age I loved me some LM Montgomery and remember wanting six kids and to live on a farm. I've actually been pretty ready the last few years, but things, you know.
The pregnancy was great. I dealt with things like extreme fatigue and pregnancy induced gingivitus, but overall, I loved being pregnant. I wanted to wait until I was showing to take belly pictures, with the result that I took only one, the week before I gave birth, at the request of my sister-in-law.
I do not look 37 weeks pregnant.

Knowing that first babies are usually born after their due dates and since I was also measuring small, I was sure I'd be going over the due date. Even after my midwife sent me in for an ultrasound at 38 weeks and the ultrasound department sent me to Labor & Delivery for a non-stress test. Everything looked great (except for the fluid loss), so I was convinced the nurse was joking when she said I might be having the baby today. She assured me she wasn't, and then I did.
Pre-pregnancy, I was considering natural childbirth. I didn't know what to expect or what I could handle. As we got closer, I became more and more convinced that was the right way to go for me. Finding out I'd have to get a catheter kind of put me over the top. So when the doctor told me he was inducing me, I was worried that was right out the window. Though there were a few things I'd like to have been able to do differently, I had a great, med-free delivery.
The best piece of advice I recieved was that when you think you can't take any more, that's when it's pretty much over and time to actually have the baby. And it was true for me. Those last few contractions hurt like a monkeylover, but that adrenaline really does help.
What I'd like to pass on, the thing nobody bothered to tell me beforehand, but then were all oh, yeah, of course not was the fact that no one leaves you alone in the hospital. You'd think that they'd let you get some sleep after your long labor and delivery, but no.

This is what turned out to be the last calm, quiet moment.



I hope that isn't a sign of things to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment