Pages

September 6, 2011

From trash to not-so-trash

Some of my earliest memories are listening to records at my great grandma's house. My mom had a record player too, but her disco records were of no interest to me. In high school, I asked for a turntable of my own and scoured Goodwill for records that weren't Englebert Humperdink. In all this time, I've never had proper furniture for any stereo. For a long time, I used an IKEA nightstand. Then I used a metal trolley. Finding a cool hi-fi stand that doesn't cost a fortune is not easy in this town. I decided I'd have to build one in the meantime. That was pretty much where things stood until this week. And voila!


 
This is not a finely crafted work of art. It was built entirely from scrap, but it will serve its purpose with slightly more form than its predecessors.


I used an old coffee table that had seen better days for no reason other than I had it and didn't want to throw it away. The rest of the frame was fashioned from 2x2s and 1/2-inch plywood. When I say I, I should clarify that while I was fully prepared to do this myself, my grandfather ended up doing quite a bit of the work. I went to his house to use his shop and he's retired, so I couldn't keep him out of it if I'd tried.
I filled in the gaps and nail holes with wood filler and put a few coats of white paint on the frame and legs. (And this time I actually do mean I did it.)


And that was it. It took a little longer than it probably should have, baby and all. But considering some days I'm happy if we unload the dishwasher, I'm not complaining.


Some music is meant to be heard on vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment