Pages

September 9, 2011

The most hated question

People keep asking us if we're getting any sleep. This has overtaken "Is it hot enough for ya?" as my least favorite question.
Yes, we're getting sleep. Maybe not a lot. Or all at once, but yes, we're sleeping.

We actually had a sleeper. It came out of nowhere at 8 weeks old and just as abruptly stopped a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it while it lasted. I'm hopeful that she'll start sleeping longer again before her teeth start coming in for reals, but I'm not taking it for granted.

We have friends with a 7 week old. They're trying some sort of sleep training thing, where they schedule his feedings. I didn't mean to sound so snotty, but when she told me I said, "Good luck with that." I actually do hope it works for them, because if it doesn't, they're just making it more difficult on themselves.

Babies change so quickly it's baffling to me to expect them to stick to a schedule. But I hear some people have nap time and bedtime routines at 3 months old. We're not there yet.
I didn't mind when I had a baby that slept for 7 hours at night. Without waking up. Now I'm a little jealous.
I can count on her to go down for a nap about one and a half hours after we get up in the morning. Most days. Sometimes only for 20 minutes. Sometimes two hours.
There'll be another nap at some point later in the afternoon and maybe another in the evening. Or not. We don't know.
She will usually fall asleep between 9 pm and 10 pm, though. And most of those nights, she stays asleep for at least three hours. Unless she wakes up again when I come to bed.
But hey, she sleeps on her own. Except when she wakes back up as soon as I put her down. Depending on how tired I am, I'll try this as many as three times before she comes to bed with me. Where she promptly falls asleep. Until the next feeding.

But yes, we're getting sleep, so please quit asking.

No comments:

Post a Comment