Pages

April 1, 2012

In which I talk about poop

I know it's a parenting cliche, but honestly, I've never been poop obsessed. The only reason we paid much attention in the early days was because we knew the pediatrician would ask us. I have always been surprised at how often other parents ask about my child's bowel movements.
But.
Other cloth diapering moms will understand my elation at our first solid poop. (Our, as if I had anything to do with it.)

The combination of BLW and cloth diapers has been a little gross, I'll admit. At first, we had essentially breastmilk poop with chunks of food, which was still easy to handle. Then the stink and sticky came, and boy am I tired of scraping.
So I did an internal dance of joy and wished I had someone to call when I could actually just shake it right off, like all the cloth diapering forums claim.

I feel like we've now passed the worst and I can definitively claim that I love cloth diapering. That's right, love. I have to do extra laundry, yes, but it really is just dump and go and if I can't run down to the basement for 30 seconds, we've got much bigger problems on our hands.
I can't say that it's responsible for our lack of diaper rash or blowouts, but we've had very few of the former and none of the latter.
It's extremely easy on the pocketbook, especially considering we received most of our stash as shower gifts.
The only issue we've had has been related to the kiddo's small stature. The size one covers we use go up to 18 pounds, but I had to switch her over to the size twos at about 15 pounds because she'd outgrown the rise. Before we switched her over, we had a few leak issues with the infant prefolds. They just weren't absorbent enough to go all night after she started waking up to nurse again. We experimented with doublers, which were mostly successful and changing her very early in the morning, but since we've moved up to the premium prefolds, we haven't had another leak. (And she's still waking up two or three times a night.)

It's so easy, I'm not even really dreading having two kids in diapers at the same time.
(No, no, that wasn't a pregnancy announcement, but we'd like one or two more and when you wait until after 30 for your first, you can't space them too far apart.)

No comments:

Post a Comment